Imagine this scenario: after living in beautiful Riverside County, California, for years, a new business opportunity presents itself and you decide to move across the country. While you’re sad to wave Riverside goodbye, you’re excited about a fresh start. There’s just one problem—your home has been on the market for months, and there are no bids in line with your asking price.
For many people, this is an all-too-common scenario. Fortunately, there’s one thing you can do to help your home sell—know your neighborhood’s housing market like the back of your hand.
In this guide, we’ll cover everything you need to know about the Riverside, CA real estate market to make selling your home as easy as a Sunday afternoon in southern California.
The Best Neighborhoods in Riverside
Situated next to the Santa Ana River, Riverside is revered for its laid-back vibes, good eats, and cinematic charm.
It’s also known for its fantastic neighborhoods.
Whether you’re selling your home in Orangecrest or Ramona, knowing how your neighborhood stacks up to the rest will help you better judge the value of your home.
Let’s take a look at four of the most desirable neighborhoods in Riverside.1
One of Riverside’s oldest neighborhoods, Arlington also features some of the city’s most beautiful architecture. What’s more, it’s the perfect neighborhood for families.
In addition to the many public facilities, Arlington prides itself on its schools and restaurants.
Let’s take a closer look at this phenomenal neighborhood.
Located a few minutes from downtown, Arlington makes it easy to enjoy both the city’s glamor and the quaintness of suburban living.
As a result, families and young professionals find the neighborhood especially attractive. Here’s what you need to know about housing market in this particular Riverside area2:
- Median home listing and selling price – Arlington is definitely a seller’s market. Although the neighborhood’s median home listing price is $522.5K, the median selling price is $540K. The above-listing bids illustrate the neighborhood’s desirability.
- Median days on the market – Homes in Arlington stay on the market for an average of 63 days.
Arlington is a neighborhood known for its great schools. Some of the neighborhood’s best public schools include:
- Jackson Elementary School
- Arizona Middle School
- Arlington High School
The neighborhood is also known for its private schools. Two of the most popular include St. Thomas the Apostle and Mission Bell Academy.
Packed with family-oriented attractions and historical landmarks, Arlington is the perfect neighborhood to spend an afternoon in.
Some of the neighborhood’s most popular amenities include:
- Van Buren Drive-In Theater – One of the country’s last remaining drive-in theaters, the Van Buren Drive-In is the place to relive cinema’s “glory days” while catching the latest blockbuster.
- California Citrus State Historic Park – A historical park devoted to exploring southern California’s important citrus industry, California Citrus State Historic Park is a great place to learn about the city’s history while getting some exercise.
From history to small hometown vibes, Riverside’s Arlington neighborhood has it all.
#2 Canyon Crest
Some neighborhoods have great schools but no nightlife. Other neighborhoods sport many things to do but feature little in the way of public services.
Then there’s Canyon Crest, a Riverside neighborhood that offers the best of both worlds.
Known for its geographical and cultural diversity, Canyon Crest is recognized as one of the top Riverside neighborhoods for families, young professionals, and retirees.
Riverside’s Canyon Crest neighborhood is located on the city’s southeast side. It’s sandwiched between Sycamore Canyon Park on the east and the Victoria neighborhood on the west.
Given the neighborhood’s location and amenities, it’s highly interesting to a wide range of buyers. If you’re selling your home in Canyon Crest, you should note the following3:
- Median home listing and selling price – Homes in Canyon Crest list for higher than average home price in Riverside, CA. The neighborhood’s median home listing price is $650K, and the median home selling price is $653.8K. As a result, the neighborhood is a seller’s market.
- Median days on the market – Homes in Canyon Crest are on the market for an average of 60 days.
Canyon Crest’s emphasis on education is a major draw for many families. Some of the neighborhood’s top schools include:
- Castle View Elementary School
- Amelia Earhart Middle School
- John W. North High School
The neighborhood also boasts one of the city’s best private schools, Hawarden Hills Academy.
Canyon Crest is beloved for its landscape and historical landmarks. Some popular amenities include:
- Sycamore Canyon Wilderness Park – A sprawling 1,500-acre park, Sycamore Canyon Wilderness Park is scattered with numerous hiking trails and picnic areas.
- William Childs House – Lovers of historic architecture will enjoy visiting the William Childs House, a 1910 craftsman bungalow. The house is on the National Register of Historic Places.
Depending on your home’s condition, selling in Canyon Crest shouldn’t give you too much trouble. The neighborhood is the perfect place for those who love the outdoors.
Riverside’s University neighborhood is named for its defining feature: the University of California-Riverside.
That said, the neighborhood has more to offer than top-notch higher education.
Located just east of downtown, Riverside’s University neighborhood is full of great restaurants and exciting nightlife. As a result, it’s ideal for students and young professionals.
If you’re selling your University home, it’s helpful to note the following:4
- Median home listing and selling price – Homes in the University neighborhood tend to price lower than the city’s average. What’s more, unlike many Riverside neighborhoods, University is a buyer’s market. While the median home listing price is $525K, the median selling price is $472.5K.
- Median days on the market – Homes in the University neighborhood are on the market for an average of 47 days.
Given the fact that the University neighborhood is a buyer’s market, it may be tough to get your asking price.
Fortunately, there’s a new way to sell your home and get the money you deserve. Housing markets can be tough. Selling your home shouldn’t be.
In addition to the University of California-Riverside, the University neighborhood features many top-rated primary and secondary schools.
- Riverside Stem Academy
- University Heights Middle School
- Apple Tree Learning Center
If you’re selling your University home, make sure to fill potential homebuyers in on the neighborhood’s outstanding educational opportunities.
The University area is consistently rated as one of the top Riverside, CA neighborhoods because of the area’s many attractions. The most popular include:
- UCR Botanic Gardens – Composed of 40 acres and over 3,500 flora species, the UCR Botanic Gardens is a place to see beautiful flowers from around the world.
- Mt. Rubidoux – Located just a short drive from UC-Riverside, Mt. Rubidoux spans 161 acres and sports many hiking trails.
Home to the city’s business and governmental district, Riverside’s Downtown neighborhood is more than meets the eye.
In addition to the neighborhood’s accessibility, Downtown’s architecture, historic landmarks, local flavors, and schools make this area really stand out.
Let’s dive deeper into this exciting neighborhood.
The Downtown neighborhood’s housing market is comparable to the University area’s. Here are a few things to note:5
- Median home listing and selling price – If you’re selling a home in Downtown, you should prepare to receive bids below your asking price. That’s because the median home listing price, $524.9K, is a bit higher than the median selling price, $502.5K.
- Median days on the market – On average, Downtown neighborhood homes are on the market for 76 days.
Like the University neighborhood, Downtown features several great schools. These include:
- Magnolia Elementary School
- Riverside Virtual
- Polytechnic High School
In addition to primary and secondary schools, the Downtown neighborhood also sports two institutions of higher learning: Riverside City College and Loma Linda University.
There’s never a dull moment in Downtown. That’s because the neighborhood has lots of interesting things to do, see, and taste.
Here are a few of the neighborhood’s most popular attractions:
- Mission Hotel and Spa – Delighting guests since 1876, the Mission Inn and Spa is a Riverside icon. Experience the convergence of Old World architecture and luxurious, modern amenities at this Downtown historic district landmark.
- Fairmount Park – Fairmount Park is a 209-acre park located in the heart of Downtown Riverside. Amenities include tennis courts, playgrounds, a botanical garden, and running trails.
Downtown’s nearby neighborhoods consist of ones on this list, making it a well-balanced choice. If you’re looking for a great Riverside neighborhood, Downtown should be on your list.
Sell Your Riverside Home With FlipSplit
There’s a ton to love about living in gorgeous Riverside, CA neighborhoods. In addition to the spectacular weather, the city boasts enough entertainment to excite even the hardest to please.
That said, selling your Riverside home can be easier said than done. Not only do you have to keep track of the area’s latest housing market trends, but you must also anticipate homebuyers’ needs. And if you’ve inherited or purchased a fixer-upper that requires more work than you imagined, it can be especially difficult to move your home off the market in a timely manner.
Fortunately, FlipSplit is an alternative to traditional home selling that puts you in control. We buy houses for top dollar. Then, after renovating and reselling your home, we share any profits with you. With FlipSplit, say goodbye to unsold homes—and hello to new opportunities.
- City of Riverside. At Home in Riverside. https://www.riversideca.gov/athomeinriverside/neighborhoods.asp
- Realtor.com. Home Values in Arlington. https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-search/Arlington_Riverside_CA/overview.
- Realtor.com. Canyon Crest, Riverside, CA Real Estate Market. https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-search/Canyon-Crest_Riverside_CA/overview
- Realtor.com. University of Riverside, Riverside, CA Real Estate Market. https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-search/University-of-Riverside_Riverside_CA/overview.
- Realtor.com. Downtown Riverside, Riverside, CA Real Estate Market. https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-search/Downtown-Riverside_Riverside_CA/overview.